Cascarilla is powdered egg shell. The shells are so finely ground that it feels as soft as baby powder. Any Botanica or store that caters to New Age and Magick ritual will have Cascarilla. You will most normally see it packed into what I call a “ketchup cup.” When removed from the cup, it maintains it’s form and can be used as one would use a soft piece of chalk. Or, if mixed with water, you will find that the soft-chalk dissolves easily. For most of the purposes, it is used as a piece of chalk, so the shells sold in stores are convenient.
Magical Uses: Cascarilla repels negative energy, and the vibration of negative energy. Cascarilla powder is such a potent cleansing and protecting agent that it can be used in any number of ways to guard from evil, malicious magic, and disease:
1. If someone leaves a trick on your doorstep or you find some suspicious item in your home from an enemy, dust your hands well with this powder before picking it up. This keeps the evil from transferring to you, and you can dispose of it safely.
2. Add some to your bath water or sprinkle in the wash bucket for scrubbing the floor to disperse negativity.
3. Use cascarilla powder to make symbols on the floor or altar during ritual or spellwork.
4. Add a bit of water and use it to paint symbols on your skin or use it dry to dust your body for all-over protection.
5. Purification baths.
6. As a piece of chalk to draw sigils and circles of protection for Magickal rituals.
7. Sprinkle a little into water that you plan on cleaning the floors with.